- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stoke d'Abernon is a village in the Borough of Elmbridge in Surrey, England. It is located on the River Mole, just south of the larger villages of Cobham and Oxshott, and just north of the M25 motorway. The population of the parish was 1,693 in the UK census of 2011.
The suffix "d'Abernon" comes from the surname of a Norman nobleman, Sir Roger D'Aubernoun, who was granted land in Surrey in return for his services to William the Conqueror. At some point after 1086, the de Clare family (previous owners) granted the manor of Stoche to the d'Aubernoun family, who held it until the mid-14th century. Two descendants of Sir Roger, Sir John d'Aubernoun the Elder (died 1277) and his son Sir John the Younger (died 1327) are buried in the village; monumental brasses of them are contained in St Mary's Church, with the one of Sir John the Elder believed to be the oldest in England.
Until the mid-19th century, Stoke d’Abernon lay in the Hundred of Elmbridge, which gave its name to the modern-day borough.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online
- The Victoria History of the County of Surrey is a series of three volumes available online through British History Online. The volumes were written over the past hundred or so years by a number of authors and cover various sections of Surrey. A list of the volumes and what each contains can be found under the source Victoria History of the County of Surrey. Both volumes 3 and 4 contain areas which are part of Greater London and parts of modern Surrey.