|Alt names||Estoch||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Stoche||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Stoke-Gifford||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1904|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1835-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stoke Gifford is now a large dormitory village, and parish in South Gloucestershire in Gloucestershire, England, in the northern suburbs of Bristol. As of the 2001 UK Census it had around 11,000 residents. The parish includes neighbouring Little Stoke, Harry Stoke and Stoke Park. The parish borders Filton, to the south-west, Patchway to the north west, Bradley Stoke to the north and Winterbourne and Hambrook to the east.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stoke Gifford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STOKE-GIFFORD, a parish, with a village, in Clifton district, Gloucester; 1½ mile NE of Filton [railway] station, and 5 NNE of Bristol. Post town, Bristol. Acres: 2,065. Real property: £3,592. Population: 445. Houses: 96. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. A Roman settlement was Cold Harbour. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £60. Patron: the Duke of Beaufort. The church is good. Charities, £37."
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837). The GENUKI page for the parish will confirm which archive provider has its records.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- MAPS. Most Wikipedia maps for places in the Bristol area have outline maps indicating the location of the suburb under discussion. Another online map that may be useful is this Ordnance Survey map originally made in 1930 and with revisions to 1946.
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover all of Bristol--and the area that was originally in Gloucestershire is sadly omitted, save for the information on the churches in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 2
- England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851 provides a map illustrating the locations of the various Bristol parishes. Enter "Bristol" in the search box at the top left, then select the parish required from the list below the search box.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stoke Gifford, Gloucestershire, England | Clifton Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Barton Regis Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Bristol Avon Registration District, Avon, England | South Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England