|Alt names||Styvechale||source: alternate name|
|Cheylesmore||source: hamlet in parish|
|Fenside||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||West Midlands, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Coventry St. Michael, Warwickshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Warwick Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1932|
|Coventry, Warwickshire, England||county borough into which it was part absorbed in 1932|
|Baginton, Warwickshire, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1932|
|Coventry (metropolitan borough), West Midlands, England||metropolitan borough covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stivichall or Styvechale is a suburb of the city of Coventry, West Midlands, England. It is a mainly residential area in the south of the city.
It sits astride the Leamington Road, as with the city centre, on the right terraces of the vale carved by the Sherbourne, an intermittently great stream which rises in Allesley in the borough [of Coventry] and flows along the eastern boundary as an upper sub-tributary of the River Avon, Warwickshire. Fenside forms part of southeast Stivichall. The district of Cheylesmore blends into the area contiguously to the northeast. Much relatively narrower Whitley Common, which is a flood meadow, and one of two dual feeder roads to Coventry's centre on it, separates Whitley to the east. The southern border of Stivichall is shared with the northern border of the city's Finham and Green Lane neighbourhoods along the A45 dual carriageway.
A rural parish on the outskirts of Coventry, the Styvechale manor had belonged to the Gregory family since the 16th century from whom in 1919 the land was purchased by Coventry Corporation and used in part to create the War Memorial Park, with the general development of the remainder following by the 1970s.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Stivychall.
Stivychall was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Coventry St. Michael in the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire.
It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and in 1894 it became part of the Warwick Rural District. In 1932 it was split between Coventry Municipal Borough and the civil parish of Baginton. Since 1974 it has been in the City of Coventry within the county of West Midlands, England
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Stivichall, Warwickshire, England | Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Warwick Rural, Warwickshire, England | Coventry, Warwickshire, England | Baginton, Warwickshire, England | Coventry (metropolitan borough), West Midlands, England