Place:Stisted, Essex, England

Watchers


NameStisted
Alt namesStiestedasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
TypeParish
Coordinates51.883°N 0.617°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Stisted is a civil parish, Church of England parish, and former manor near Braintree, Essex, England. Andrew Motion, a former Poet Laureate, was raised there.

History of Stisted

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Stisted parish was a peculiar, held by the Dean of Bocking under the Archbishop of Canterbury, until 1845, when it fell under the jurisdiction of Middlesex. In 1895 it became part of the 'see' of Chelmsford.

Samuel Stone, founder of Hartford, Conn. was curate of Stisted from 1627. Charles Forster, grandfather of E. M. Forster, held the living of Stisted, and there is an inscription recording that "The tower was rebuilt from the foundations by Onley Savill-Onley and at the same time the chancel was new roofed and restored by the Rev Charles Forster AD 1844".

The manor of Stisted also belonged to the monks of Canterbury Cathedral before the reformation. It was sold to Thomas Wiseman in 1549, whose heirs sold it to William Lingwood in 1685, whose widow (his third wife) beqeathed it to John Savill in 1719. It was inherited by Savill's brother, and then his niece, who married the Rev. Charles Onley, from whom Onley Savill-Onley was descended.

In 2003, Alan Hurst, the local Member of Parliament denounced an Internet land scheme for selling land in Stisted as if for development, comparing it to a Champagne auction.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stisted. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.