Stiffkey (often pronounced Stewkey) is a village and civil parish on the north coast of the English county of Norfolk. It is situated on the A149 coast road, some east of Wells-next-the-Sea, west of Blakeney, and north-west of the city of Norwich.
The place-name 'Stiffkey' is first evidenced in the Domesday Book of 1086, and means 'stump island, island with stumps of trees'.
The village is remembered as the parish whose rector, Harold Davidson, faced charges of immorality and was defrocked in 1932. He was a popular priest in the area and the villagers asked his family to allow him to be buried in Stiffkey when he died, rather than in the family tomb in Sholing, where he was born. (He was killed, rather improbably, by a lion). They have cared for his grave for many years.
The author Henry Williamson bought a farm in Stiffkey. The Story of a Norfolk Farm (1941) is his account of his first years of farming here.
Stiffkey is also famous for cockles Cerastoderma edule which still retain the old name of "Stiffkey blues". These are stained blue by the mud in which they live.
The River Stiffkey runs through the village, from which it takes its name, and used to power the Stiffkey watermill which was built before 1579. It was a small mill, running two pairs of stones, and it operated until 1881 when it was put up for auction as a warehouse. Little now remains of the mill: just a few low ruined walls showing the position of the building.
The Norfolk Coast Path runs between the village and the sea.