|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||East Meon, Hampshire, England||ecclesiastical parish of which it was a chapelry|
|East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Steep is a village and civil parish in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire. Its nearest town is Petersfield, which lies 1.4 miles (2.3 km) south of the village, just off the A3 road. According to the 2011 census, Steep had a population of 849.
Until 1867 Steep was a chapelry in the ecclesiastical parish of East Meon. In 1894 it joined Petersfield Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Steep.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Steep.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Steep, Hampshire, England | East Meon, Hampshire, England | East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England