- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Steane or Stean from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STEAN, a parish in Brackley [registration] district, Northampton; 2½ miles NW of Brackley [railway] station. Post town: Brackley. Acres: 1,360. Real property: £1,521. Population: 25. Houses: 4. The living is a rectory, annexed to Hinton-in-the-Hedges. The church was built in 1620."
In 1935 the civil parish of Steane was abolished and the area absorbed by the parish of Farthinghoe. The area is now part of South Northamptonshire District in Northamptonshire, England.