- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a place named Stanton in Gloucestershire.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Staunton is a village in the Forest of Dean District in west Gloucestershire, England. It is located 2.5 miles east of Monmouth and 2.5 miles north west of Coleford in the Forest of Dean, on the border of England and Wales. The main road which passes through Staunton is the A4136.
From 1894 until 1974 Staunton was situated in West Dean Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Staunton, near Coleford, Gloucestershire.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Volume 5, Chapter 3 of the Victoria County History of Gloucestershire found in the website British History Online expands on the subjects of freemining and foresters throughout the Hundred of St Briavels. The chapter includes maps of the various communities and their relationships to one another. There is an article specifically on Staunton.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county