|Name||Stapleton (near Darlington)|
|Alt names||Stapleton (near Darlington)||source: from redirect|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Croft Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
|Gilling East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was part situated|
|Gilling West Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was part situated|
|Croft on Tees, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish in which it was partly located|
|Stanwick St. John, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish in which it was partly located|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stapleton is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It is close to the River Tees and Darlington in County Durham. Prior to 1974 Stapleton was located in Croft Rural District in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Historically, it was located part in the ecclesiastical parish of Croft on Tees in the Gilling East Wapentake, and part in the ecclesiastical parish of Stanwick St. John in the Gilling West Wapentake.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, England | Croft Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Gilling East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Gilling West Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Stanwick St. John, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Croft on Tees, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Stapleton (near Darlington), North Riding of Yorkshire, England