- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stanway is a small crossroads village in the English county of Gloucestershire, about 1 mile south of Stanton. Both villages are on the Cotswold Way. It is part of the Tewkesbury Borough Council area.
The village is dominated by Stanway House, a Jacobean manor house, owned by the Earl of Wemyss and March.
St Peter's Church was rebuilt in the 12th century, the tower added in the 13th century and the whole building thoroughly restored in 1896. The Tithe Barn was built in the 14th century for Tewkesbury Abbey.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Stanway in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Tewkesbury hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county