- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stanton is a small village since 1974 in Tewkesbury Borough in Gloucestershire, England. It is located on the edge of the Cotswolds Hills, around three miles southwest of Broadway, Worcestershire. Although Stanton is officially in Gloucestershire, it is often erroneously attributed to Worcestershire, as Broadway is the postal town. It is near Stanway, Gloucestershire, location of Stanway house.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stanton, Gloucestershire, England