Stanstead Abbots (spelled Stanstead Abbotts by Wikipedia) is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire District of Hertfordshire, England. At the 2001 UK census the parish had a population of 1,983. It lies on the county boundary with Essex, and is situated approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) SSE of Ware, 6.5 miles (10.5 km) SE of Hertford, 3 miles (4.8 km) NNE of Hoddesdon and 5 miles (8.0 km) W of Harlow. The village is separated from the village of Stanstead St. Margarets by the River Lea.
The manor of Stanstead Abbots was granted to Anne Boleyn and remained with the crown after her execution. In 1559 Queen Elizabeth granted it to Edward Baeshe (1507?-1587) and it remained in the Bashe family for several generations.