|Name||Stanford upon Teme|
|Alt names||Stanford with Orleton||source: name since 1933|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Doddingtree Hundred, Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Martley Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Malvern Hills District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Malvern Hills District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stanford upon Teme from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STANFORD-UPON-TEME, a parish in Martley [registration] district, Worcester; 5 miles SE of Newnham [railway] station. Post town, Worcester. Acres: 1,278. Real property: £2,061. Population: 201. Houses: 37. [Stanford] Court is the seat of Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £300. Patron: Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1768."
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stanford on Teme is a village and, with the village of Orleton just under one mile away, is now also a civil parish in the Malvern Hills District in the county of Worcestershire, England. Orleton and Stanford on Teme were separate parishes before 1974.
Stanford Court, a Grade II listed 18th century stately home, is the ancestral home of the Winnington baronets. The house was first built in the reign of King James I. It was extended in the 18th century, and remodelled after a fire in 1882.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
From 1894 until 1933 Stanford upon Teme was a parish in the Martley Rural District. In 1933 it was transferred to Tenbury Rural District where it merged with the parish of Orleton and remained until 1974. Since 1974 it has been part of the Malvern Hills District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.
There is a sketchmap of the parishes of Martley Rural District on the rural district page.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
- A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 4 edited by William Page and J W Willis-Bund covers the city of Worcester, as well as parishes in the hundreds of Pershore and Doddingtree, in the south and west of the county. These include the towns of Pershore, Great Malvern and Hanley Castle. (Victoria County History - Worcestershire. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924, and available free online from British History Online)
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Stanford upon Teme, Worcestershire, England | Doddingtree Hundred, Worcestershire, England | Martley Rural, Worcestershire, England | Tenbury Rural, Worcestershire, England | Malvern Hills District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Malvern Hills District, Worcestershire, England