Place:Standon, Hertfordshire, England

Watchers
NameStandon
Alt namesPuckeridgesource: village in parish
High Crosssource: hamlet in parish
Standonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 138
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.883°N 0.033°E
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoBraughing Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Ware Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
East Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Standon is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire District of Hertfordshire, England. The parish includes the adjoining village of Puckeridge as well as the hamlet of High Cross.

The village church of St Mary has Saxon origins with much Victorian restoration. It contains the ornate tomb of the Tudor courtier Sir Ralph Sadler (1507 – 1587)

The Prime Meridian passes to the west of Standon.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Standon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.