- source: Family History Library Catalog
Standerwick is a hamlet in the civil parish of Beckington in the Mendip district of Somerset, England.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
Standerwick is a parish and village, 119 miles from London, and 4 east-north-east from Frome railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Frome hundred, union, and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells, on the road to Bath from Warminster. The church has long since been destroyed. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Beckington, gross joint value about £500, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Sainsbury Langford Sainsbury, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford. Standerwick Court, the seat of Admiral Harry Edgell, C.B., J.P., and now occupied by John Boger Hole, esq., is a plain square building, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Queen Anne: there are marks of a Norman encampment, supposed to have been a signal station between Alfred's Tower, Stourton, and Claverton Downs, Bath, this being the highest ground between the two points: the house, occupying an elevated position, is approached from the high road by a carriage drive, and commands extensive views of the Wiltshire Downs and the surrounding rural scenery. Admiral Harry Edgell, C.B., J.P., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, stone. The land is chiefly in pasturage for dairy purposes. The acreage is 303; rateable value, £671; the population in 1871 was 62.