|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Heugh, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1955-1974|
|Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England||diistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stamfordham is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, about 5 miles (8 km) west of Ponteland and 10 miles (16 km) east of Hexham. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 UK census was 1,047, rising to 1,185 at the 2011 UK census.
The Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin was built in the 13th century, and over-restored under the direction of Benjamin Ferrey in 1848. In addition to St Mary's, there is a non-denominational "Church on the Green".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stamfordham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STAMFORDHAM, a village, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district, in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Pont, 6½ miles NNW of Wylam [railway] station, and 12 NW by W of Newcastle; was once a market-town; retains, on its green, a small but picturesque market house of 1785; is a polling place; and has a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and fairs on 20 April and 15 Aug.
- "The parish contains 14 townships, and comprises 18,089 acres. Real property: £21,603; of which £152 are in mines. Population: 1,800. Houses: 350. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £520. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1849. The [perpetual] curacy of Matfen is a separate benefice. A chapel of ease is at Ryall; and there are a [United] Presbyterian church, an endowed school with £200 a year, and charities £12."
Stamfordham was an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward which also became a civil parish from the early 19th century until 1866.
Townships in the ancient parish
A Vision of Britain through Time does not state its position between 1866 and 1955, but the Ordnance Survey map of 1900 (see below] indicates that it became part of Heugh civil parish. In 1955 Stamfordham was re-formed as a civil parish, became part of Castle Ward Rural District and absorbed the civil parishes of
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Stamfordham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Heugh, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England