The Village of Stamford is located partly in the Town of Stamford and partly in the Town of Harpersfield. The village is on routes 23 and 10. The village has termed itself the "Queen of the Catskills."
The area was visited by farmers and trappers in the 18th century. By the early part of the 20th century Stamford reached its peak as a tourist area, mostly aided by the arrival of the Ulster & Delaware Railroad from Kingston in 1872. (Passenger service lasted until March 31, 1954; freight service until September 28, 1976.) The village was incorporated in 1870.