Place:Stainton le Vale, Lincolnshire, England

NameStainton le Vale
Alt namesStaintonsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 174
Stainton-le-Valesource: Family History Library Catalog
Staintonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 174
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.433°N 0.22°W
Located inLincolnshire, England
Also located inLindsey, England     (1889 - 1974)
See alsoCaistor Rural, Lindsey, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Thoresway, Lincolnshire, Englandcivil parish of which it has been part since 1974
West Lindsey District, Lincolnshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Stainton le Vale is a village which, since 1974, has been located in the civil parish of Thoresway in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. Prior to 1974 it was a separate civil parish.

It is situated about 6 miles (9.7 km) north-east from the town of Market Rasen and about 6 miles south-east from the town of Caistor. It lies in the Lincolnshire Wolds.

In the 1086 Domesday Book it is named "Staintone", with 39 households, land and a mill.

The parish church is a Grade II listed building dedicated to St. Andrew and dating from 1300. After falling into ruin in the 17th century, it was restored in 1886, and again in 1914.

Research Tips

Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.

There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.

From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.

  • Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
  • GENUKI's page on Lincolnshire's Archive Service gives addresses, phone numbers, webpages for all archive offices, museums and libraries in Lincolnshire which may store old records and also presents a list entitled "Hints for the new researcher" which may include details of which you are not aware. These suggestions are becoming more and more outdated, but there's no telling what may be expected in a small library.
  • GENUKI also has pages of information on individual parishes, particularly ecclesiastical parishes. The author may just come up with morsels not supplied in other internet-available sources.
  • Deceased Online now has records for 11 cemeteries and two crematoria in Lincolnshire. This includes Grimsby's Scartho Road cemetery, Scartho Road crematorium, and Cleethorpes cemetery, council records for the City of Lincoln and Gainsborough, and older church records from The National Archives for St Michael's in Stamford, and St Mark's in Lincoln, dating back to 1707. This is a pay website.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stainton le Vale. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.