- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another Stainforth located near Giggleswick, further northwest in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and now in the Craven District of North Yorkshire.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Stainforth is a small town and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, in South Yorkshire, England. It is located roughly north-east of Doncaster, close to Hatfield and Thorne. It has a population of 6,342.
From 1894 until the municipal reorganization of 1974, Stainforth was located in Thorne Rural District. It was also in the ecclesiastical parish of Hatfield in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Stainforth, South Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Stainforth. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Hatfield provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Stainforth.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!