- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of St. Stephens from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STEPHEN'S (St.)-by-Saltash, a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the Hamoaze, and on the West Cornwall railway, around Saltash town and [railway] station. Post town: Saltash, Cornwall. Acres: 6,901; of which 1,200 are water. Real property: £13,300; of which £3,759 are in Saltash. Pop. in 1851: 2,998; in 1861: 3,287,--of whom 1,900 were in Saltash. Houses: 567. Trematon Castle belongs to the Duke of Cornwall; and Ince Castle, now a farmhouse, was a seat of the Earl of Devon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £139. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The [perpetual] curacy of Saltash is a separate benefice. Charities, £79."