The parish of Westminster St Margaret was the ancient parish covering most of the City and Borough of Westminster, with the exception of a small enclave covering just Westminster Abbey and its close. The parish was split in 1727 with the southern part becoming the new parish of Westminster St John the Evangelist, although the two parishes continued to share a vestry and were therefore considered one parish for some purposes. In 1889 the parish (both parts of it) was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London. In 1900 they became part of the Westminster Metropolitan Borough. Westminster Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of the City of Westminster.