St John's Chapel is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated in the former Wear Valley district, on the south side of the River Wear on the A689 road between Daddry Shield and Ireshopeburn. The 2001 census reported a population of 307.
Originally St John's chapel was a medieval hunting stop, it then grew as a centre of lead mining after 1600.
St John's Chapel was the penultimate stop of the Weardale Extension Railway which opened on 21 October 1895. The railway being mainly a freight line carrying limestone, iron ore, lead ore and fluorspar to the industrial areas of northeast England. It closed to passenger traffic in 1953 and later to freight in 1963. The station was entirely demolished.