- source: Family History Library Catalog
Prior to 1889 St. Giles in the Fields was a parish in Middlesex, close to the western edge of the City of London. It was originally a chapelry of Holborn but became a separate parish in the middle ages. The parish was briefly split in the eighteenth century, when the northern part broke away around 1730 to become the parish of St George Bloomsbury, only for the two parts to be reunited in 1774 as the parish of St Giles in the Fields and St George Bloomsbury - commonly known simply as St Giles. In 1889 the parish was transferred from Middlesex to the newly created County of London, and in 1900 became part of the Holborn Metropolitan Borough. Holborn Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Camden.