Place:St Botolph Without Aldgate, London, England

Watchers
NameSt Botolph Without Aldgate
Alt namesSt Botolph Aldgatesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish
Coordinates51.514004°N 0.076306°W
Located inLondon, England
Also located inLondon, London, England    
Middlesex, England    
Contained Places
Parish
Holy Trinity Minories ( - 1557 )
Liberty of the Tower ( 1895 - )
Old Tower Without ( 1895 - )
St Katharine by the Tower ( 1895 - )
source: Family History Library Catalog


Research Tips

St Botolph without Aldgate is one of the ancient parishes of the City of London. The "without" refers to the fact that it lay outside the city walls, facing Aldgate, one of the gates of the city. It was one of the small number of parishes which straddled both the City and the adjoining county of Middlesex. In 1889 those parts of the parish in Middlesex were transferred to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became part of Stepney Metropolitan Borough. Stepney Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The remainder of the parish (including the church) remains inside the boundary of the City of London, with the civil parish being abolished in 1907, when the civil parishes within the City merged into the parish of London.