|Alt names||Golant||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Powder Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|St. Austell, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1968|
|St. Austell-with-Fowey, Cornwall, England||municipal borough of which it was a part 1968-1974|
|St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St. Sampson is a civil parish in the southeast of Cornwall, England.
Formally known as the parish of Golant (Golant is a small village on the west bank of the Fowey river), the parish is bounded on the north by parish of Lanlivery, on the east by the river Fowey which separates it from the parishes of St. Winnow, St. Veep and Lanteglos-by-Fowey, on the south by the parish of Fowey, and on the west by the parish of Tywardreath.
St. Sampson was part of the St. Austell Rural District from 1894 until 1934. In 1934 it became part of St. Austell Urban District, and in 1968 the Urban District expanded to become the Municipal Borough of St. Austell-with-Fowey. In 1974 St. Austell-with-Fowey and other surrounding rural and urban districts became the Restormel administrative District. In 2009 the whole of Cornwall was made into a unitary authority.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Powder Hundred, Cornwall, England | St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Austell, Cornwall, England | St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England | St. Sampson, Cornwall, England