Place:St. Paris, Champaign, Ohio, United States

Watchers


NameSt. Paris
Alt namesNew Parissource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS39016187
Parissource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS39016187
Saint Parissource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeVillage
Coordinates40.128°N 83.96°W
Located inChampaign, Ohio, United States
Contained Places
Cemetery
Concord Cemetery
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

St. Paris is a village in Champaign County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,089 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The area where St. Paris now stands was originally inhabited by Native Americans. The first European settlers arrived in 1797 and the village was founded in 1831 by David Huffman, who originally named it New Paris, after the French capital city of Paris. Upon learning that another town in Ohio already had that name, he changed the name to St. Paris.

One of the houses in the village, known as the "Monitor House", has been declared a historic site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St. Paris, Ohio. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.