Place:St. Mary's City, Saint Mary's, Maryland, United States

Watchers


NameSt. Mary's City
Alt namesSaint Marysource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS24007951
Saint Mary's Citysource: Getty Vocabulary Program
Saint Maryssource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS24007951
St. Mary's Citysource: WeRelate abbreviation
St. Marys Citysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCommunity
Coordinates38.183°N 76.433°W
Located inSaint Mary's, Maryland, United States
Contained Places
Cemetery
Great Brick Chapel
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

St. Mary's City, in St. Mary's County, Maryland, is a small unincorporated community near the southernmost end of the state on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. It is located on the eastern shore of the St. Mary's River, a tributary of the Potomac. St. Mary's City is the fourth oldest permanent English settlement in the United States. It is considered the birthplace of religious tolerance in the United States, as the colony passed the Maryland Toleration Act (1649). Until 1695 St Mary's City was the capital of the Province of Maryland.

A section of the community, Historic St. Mary's City, was declared a National Historic Landmark on August 4, 1969.[1]

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St. Mary's City, Maryland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.