Place:St. Mary's Cathedral, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Republic of Ireland

Watchers


NameSt. Mary's Cathedral
TypeCemetery
Coordinates52.6525°N 7.256944°W
Located inKilkenny, County Kilkenny, Republic of Ireland


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

St. Mary’s is the Roman Catholic cathedral for the Diocese of Ossory. It is situated on James’s Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Ireland.

Saint Mary’s was designed by William Deane Butler (c.1794-1857). He was chosen by Bishop William Kinsella (1793-1845) who instigated the building of St. Mary’s in February 1842. Work began in April 1843 and finished in 1857, which included the period of the Irish famine. On Sunday 4 October 1857, St. Mary’s had its grand opening, which consisted of a two and three quarter hour ceremony that began at 6.15am. The cost of the building is estimated to have been £25,000.

St. Mary’s is made from cut-limestone which was sourced locally. The cathedral has a cruciform plan and its style is described as ‘Early English Gothic’. The design is believed to have been based on Gloucester Cathedral in Gloucester, England. It is situated on the highest point in Kilkenny City and is a significant local landmark.

The cathedral actually has three names - St Mary’s, the church of St Kieran and the Cathedral of the Assumption.

St. Mary’s has a noted sculpture of the Madonna by Giovanni Maria Benzoni (1809-1873).

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St. Mary's Cathedral, Kilkenny. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.