- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St. Martin-by-Looe (Cornish: Penndrumm), also known as St. Martin (near Liskeard) or, simply, St. Martin, is a coastal civil parish in south Cornwall, England. The parish is immediately east of the town and parish of Looe, seven miles (11 km) south of Liskeard. The population of the parish in the 2001 census was 321.
To the north, the parish is bordered by Morval parish, to the east by St. Germans parish (now Deviock parish), to the west by Looe parish and to the south by the sea.
Until 1845 the parish also included East Looe. St. Martin-by-Looe was part of the Liskeard Rural District from 1894 until 1974.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.