- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
St Katharine's by the Tower—full name Royal Hospital and Collegiate Church of St. Katharine by the Tower—was a medieval church and hospital next to the Tower of London. The establishment was founded in 1147 and the buildings demolished in 1825 to build St Katharine Docks, which takes its name from it. It was re-established elsewhere in London and 123 years later returned once more to the East End. The church was a royal peculiar and the precinct around it was an extra-parochial area, eventually becoming a civil parish which was dissolved in 1895.