St. Johnsville is a town in Montgomery County, New York, United States. The population was 2,631 at the 2010 census. Accounts vary as to the naming of St. Johnsville, but most accounts state that the town and its village are named after an early surveyor and commissioner, Alexander St. John. Still others credit the naming of St. Johnsville to a former name for the area, St. John's Church.
The Erie Canal, as part of the Mohawk River, is at the town's south border.
The town was first settled around 1725. The territory was part of the Palatine District.
In 1769, Sir William Johnson built a church in the town for the benefit of his Indian allies.
A brief skirmish was fought in the town in 1780 near Fort Klock, a fortified house.
In 1857, the community of St. Johnsville set itself off from the town by incorporating as a village.
According to the Enterprise and News, Nov. 17, 1937,by 1934, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph H. Reaney had given 120 acres of land to the Village of Saint Johnsville. This land was named Klock Park after Dr. Charles M. Klock, a highly regarded local physcian. Today the H.C Smith Benefit Club utilizes the building to host many community events.