- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lee St. John from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "JOHN-LEE (ST.), a parish in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland; on the river Tyne, the Border Counties railway, and the Roman wall, immediately N of Hexham. It adjoins Hexham bridge, in the neighbourhood of Hexham [railway] station; it contains Acomb township, with a village 1¼ mile NNW of that bridge, and with a post office under Hexham; and it contains also the townships of Portgate, Sandhoe, Anick, Anick-Grange, Fallowfield, Cocklaw, Bingfield, Hallington, and Wall, the last of which has a station on the Border Counties railway. Acres: 15,090. Real property: £19,264; of which £1,099 are in mines. Population in 1851: 2,073; in 1861: 2,254. Houses, 401. The increase of population was chiefly in Acomb township, and arose from the extension of lead mines, and the opening of a new colliery. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to W. B. Beaumont, Esq. Lee Hall belonged to the Jarins and the Coatesworths, and passed to the Charltons. Hermitage is the seat of Mrs. Allgood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £280. Patron: W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church is in Acomb township stands on the wooded brow of an extensive tableau, overlooking the Tyne valley; has a fine spire, figuring conspicuously in the beautiful landscape around Hexham; is ancient, and very good; and occupies the site of an oratory of St. John of Beverley, which used to be visited annually by the monks of Hexham in solemn procession. There are chapels of ease at Wall and Bingfield, a Wesleyan chapel at Acomb, and an endowed school with £12 a year.
Lee St. John became an ancient parish after 1572 and a civil parish in 1866. Wikipedia does not have an article on Lee St. John, but mentions the church of St. John Lee in its article on Acomb. It is presumed that the parish of Lee St. John was absorbed into the parish of Acomb either in 1887 or 1955. (Transfers to reduce the number of civil parishes were common in both these years. Both Wikipedia and A Vision of Britain through Time omit details.)
Townships in the Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.