Place:St. John's Chapel, Durham, England


NameSt. John's Chapel
Alt namesSt. John'ssource: from redirect
Weardale-St. Johnsource: Family History Library Catalog
Coordinates54.737°N 2.18°W
Located inDurham, England
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

St John's Chapel is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated in the former Wear Valley district, on the south side of the River Wear on the A689 road between Daddry Shield and Ireshopeburn. The 2001 census reported a population of 307.

Originally St John's chapel was a medieval hunting stop, it then grew as a centre of lead mining after 1600.

St John's Chapel was the penultimate stop of the Weardale Extension Railway which opened on 21 October 1895. The railway being mainly a freight line carrying limestone, iron ore, lead ore and fluorspar to the industrial areas of northeast England. It closed to passenger traffic in 1953 and later to freight in 1963. The station was entirely demolished.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St John's Chapel, County Durham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.