Place:St. Fergus, Banffshire, Scotland

Watchers
NameSt. Fergus
Alt namesSaint Fergus
Inverugiesource: Statistical Account of 1840
Langleysource: Statistical Account of 1840
TypeParish
Coordinates57.5606°N 1.8384°W
Located inBanffshire, Scotland     ( - 1891)
Also located inAberdeenshire, Scotland     (1891 - )
source: Family History Library Catalog


The parish of St. Fergus is on the north east coast of Aberdeenshire, just north of Peterhead. For historical reasons, it traditionally belonged to Banffshire, even though it is physically surrounded by Aberdeenshire and not connected to the rest of Banffshire.

From the New Statistical Account of 1840, by Rev. James Anderson, courtesy of GENUKI:

"This parish was formerly named Langley, and originally Inverugie. It assumed its present designation in 1616; ... it belongs to the County of Banff, to which it was annexed at a very early period through the influence of the Cheynes, the ancient proprietors, who, being the hereditary Sheriffs of Banff, were naturally very desirous to have their own domains placed under their own jurisdiction."

Gavin Bell continues in GENUKI:

Being a "detached part" of lying some 20 miles away from the Banffshire "mainland", St Fergus represented one of the largest of the anomalies which were corrected on 1st May, 1891, but it was a quite straightforward one. Up until that date, the entire parish belonged to Banffshire; after that date, the entire parish belonged to Aberdeenshire. But (perhaps because it was such a large anomaly) different records for St Fergus are liable to appear under either Aberdeenshire or Banffshire. (source:GENUKI article on St. Fergus)

Research Tips