|Name||Winchester St. Cross with St. Faith|
|Alt names||St. Faith||source: local name for parish|
|St. Faith Within||source: part of parish within Winchester Municipal Borough|
|St. Faith Without||source: part of parish outside Winchester Municipal Borough|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Winchester Soke, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England||wider ancient county division in which it was located|
|Winchester, Hampshire, England||city in which it was situated|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England|rural district in which St. Faith Without was located 1932-1900|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
English Jurisdictions 1851, a website provided by FamilySearch, states:
- "Winchester St. Cross with St. Faith is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information."
Both parish registers and bishops transcripts have been found. See under "What links here" on the left.
The extra-parochial area became a civil parish in the middle of the 19th century and was commonly referred to as St. Faith. According to the map provided, the area of Winchester covered by St. Faith is quite large and is located on the southwest edge of the city. In 1898 it was abolished and split into the parishes of St. Faith Within and St. Faith Without.
St. Faith Without covered the area officially outside of Winchester Municipal Borough and within the Winchester Rural District. St. Faith Without was abolished in 1900 and, presumably, the land was absorbed into Winchester. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time does not state what happened to St. Faith Without.)
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Winchester St. Cross with St. Faith, Hampshire, England | Winchester Soke, Hampshire, England | Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Winchester, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England