Place:Springfield, Essex, England

Alt namesSpringafeldasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
Springhefeldasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.747°N 0.509°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoChelmsford Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1934
Chelmsford, Essex, Englandmunicipal borough of which it was part 1934-1974
Chelmsford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Springfield has been a civil parish of the Borough of Chelmsford, Essex, England since the borough's foundation in 1974. The parish takes in the portion of Chelmsford north of river Chelmer and west of the A12 bypass and originally comprised the manors of Springfield Hall, Springfield Barnes (now Chelmer Village), Cuton Hall, and in part New Hall (now Beaulieu Park).

Until the 1950s the parish was a semi-rural village lying a mile north east of Chelmsford, on the old Roman Road. In 2008, according to a published estimate, the population of the parish was 11,500.

The parish was part of the Chelmsford Rural District from 1894 until 1934, when it was absorbed into Chelmsford Municipal Borough.

A former resident of the village of Springfield, William Pynchon, went on to become one of the leaders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony - a group of New World settlers whose capital city was Boston. In 1636, Pynchon and a group of pioneers founded Springfield, Massachusetts, beside New England's greatest river, the Connecticut River, amidst New England's most fertile soil.

Research Tips

Springfield, Essex, in A Vision of Britain Through Time

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Springfield, Essex. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.