|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Pickering Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1934|
|Kirkbymoorside Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the parish was a part 1934-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is taken from an article in Wikipedia
Spaunton is a hamlet and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated near Lastingham and about 5 miles (8 km) north west of Pickering.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Spaunton was located in the Kirkbymoorside Rural District (1934-1974) and prior to that in Pickering Rural District. Historically, it was situated in the ecclesiastical parish of Lastingham in the Rydale Wapentake.
Spaunton Moor is a large expanse of moorland stretching north and south from Spaunton--the part north of Lastingham is adjacent to the south of Rosedale and Farndale. Spaunton Moor was the civil parish, while Spaunton is the hamlet. The civil parish was transferred from Pickering Rural District to Kirkbymoorside Rural District in 1934, together with the adjacent civil parish of Lastingham.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Kirkbymoorside Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Pickering Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | Rydale Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England
Help fund new features!