Place:South Ockendon, Essex, England

NameSouth Ockendon
Alt namesWochandunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Wochedunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Wochendunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.533°N 0.296°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOrsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1921
Purfleet, Essex, Englandurban district of which West Thurrock was a part 1921-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

South Ockendon is a settlement and Church of England parish in the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1921, the Thurrock District in Essex, England (a unitary authority since 1998). The parish was part of the Purfleet urban district from 1921 until 1936, and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998).


South Ockendon is an ancient parish. It was a village before the Norman Conquest and had a priest in 1085. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Wocheduna, conjecturally named after a Saxon chief, Wocca, whose tribe lived on a hill. (The suffix "don" in Old English means a low hill in open country.) Until the late 1940s, the village centred on The Village Green, with its Norman Church closely adjoining "The Royal Oak", a 14th-century tavern with a 17th-century northern extension. North, South and West Roads all converge on The Green.

The rail line was built in 1892 as a through line from Tilbury Docks to the Midlands and further north, via Upminster, Romford and on.

There was a Ford Motor Company factory at South Ockendon between the early 1970s and the millenium.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at South Ockendon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.