South Newbald is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, very close to the larger village of North Newbald. It is situated approximately 12 miles (19 km) north-west of Hull city centre, 2.5 miles (4 km) north of South Cave and 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Market Weighton. It lies to the east of the A1034 road.
Since 1935 it forms part of the civil parish of Newbald. Formerly North Newbald and South Newbald were individual civil parishes within Beverley Rural District. North Newbald continues to be the ecclesiastical parish for both settlements and is in the wapentake of Harthill.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.