|Name||South Middleton (near Wooler)|
|Alt names||South Middleton|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Ilderton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Glendale Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Ilderton, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are two pairs of villages or hamlets named North Middleton and South Middleton in Northumberland. This is part of the northwestern pair. The other pair is near Morpeth.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of South Middleton (near Wooler) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MIDDLETON (South), a township in Ilderton parish, Northumberland; 3½ miles S by W of Wooler. Acres: 1,609. Population: 75. Houses: 13."
South Middleton (near Wooler) was a township in the ancient parish of Ilderton. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Ilderton.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.