- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are two pairs of villages or hamlets named North Middleton and South Middleton in Northumberland. This is part of the southern pair. The other pair is near Wooler.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of South Middleton (near Morpeth) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MIDDLETON (South), a township in Hartburn parish, Northumberland; on the river Wansbeck, and on the Wansbeck Valley railway, at Middleton [railway] station, 10¼ miles W of Morpeth. Acres: 609. Population: 22. Houses: 3."
South Middleton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was abolished and absorbed into the nearby parish of Wallington Demesne.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.