By order of the Local Government Board on 20 September 1872, the parishes of South Gosforth and Coxlodge were constituted into a district, governed by the South Gosforth Local Board. After the 1894 Local Government Act, the board became the South Gosforth Urban District Council. A year later, by a Northumberland County Council order dated 14 March 1895, the title was changed again to Gosforth Urban District Council.
The parishes of Coxlodge and South Gosforth were amalgamated into the parish of Gosforth in 1908.
The Gosforth Urban District Council was finally abolished on 1 April 1974 to become part of the City of Newcastle Metropolitan Borough Council.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of South Gosforth from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887: