South Dalton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated to the west of the B1248 road, and approximately north-east from the market town of Market Weighton and north-west from the market town of Beverley. Etton lies to the south-east. North Dalton is approximately north-west, with the villages of Middleton on the Wolds and Lund between.
The village forms part the Dalton Estate, owned and managed by the Hotham family which has possessed land in the area for generations. The 18th–century Hall is the home of Lord Hotham. The Dalton Estate office is within the village. The Estate houses are of rows of cottages and Tudor style houses, some with date plates dating as far back as 1706.
According to A Dictionary of British Place Names the village name derives from the Old English for a "farmstead or village in a valley." South Dalton is listed in the Domesday Book as "Delton". At the time of the survey the settlement was in the Hundred of Sneculfcros in the East Riding of Yorkshire. It contained twelve households, twelve villagers, and six ploughlands. In 1066 Ealdred, the Archbishop of York, held the Lordship, this transferring by 1086 to the canons of Beverley, with Thomas of Bayeux, the later Archbishop of York, as Tenant-in-chief to King William I. By 1260 the settlement name was recorded as "Suthdalton".
In 1823 South Dalton was a village and civil parish in the Wapentake of Harthill. Population at the time was 277. Occupations included twelve farmers, a shopkeeper, a boot & shoe maker, a carpenter & wheelwright, a blacksmith, and the landlord of The Board public house. A weaver was also the parish clerk. Three carriers operated between the village and Beverley once a week.
In 1935 South Dalton and the neighbouring parish of Holme on the Wolds were merged into a single parish named Dalton Holme. The new civil parish continued to be part of Beverley Rural District until 1974. South Dalton was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.