- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The Hambleton District Council website lists South Cowton amongst its civil parishes; the Richmondshire District Council does not.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
South Cowton is a village and Civil Parish based around an abandoned medieval village in the Richmondshire District of North Yorkshire in England.
The village was developed some time after the Norman Conquest, The Domesday Book tells us that South Cowton was owned by Count Alan of Richmond, and was ruled by Godric the Steward. The archaeological remains of the village suggest that there were at least 20 houses during the Medieval era.
The two major historic buildings in South Cowton are The Castle and St Mary's Church. Both buildings were erected in the 15th century. They were both built by Richard Conyers, one of the few lords of the many Cowton manors, ever to actually live there.
Between 1489 and 1490 Richard Conyers demolished the village of South Cowton, evicting its tenants in order to convert the land into pastures.
The current village consists of little more than a few widely dispersed farms, the Castle and the church. The former villages of Temple Cowton and Atley Cowton as well as the hamlets of Atley Hill and Pepper Arden have been incorporated into the parish of South Cowton.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, South Cowton was located in Northallerton Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Gilling West in the Gilling West Wapentake. It was in the Northallerton Registration District.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.