South Cliffe is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated about 2.5 miles (4 km) north of North Cave, 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Newbald and about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south of Market Weighton. It bestrides Cliffe Road. Together with North Cliffe (which joined it in 1935), it forms the civil parish of North and South Cliffe, or, simply, South Cliffe.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.