|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fordingbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Fordingbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Breamore, Hampshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|New Forest District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
South Charford is a hamlet in the New Forest District of Hampshire. Since 1932 it has been part of the civil parish of Breamore on the west bank of the River Avon.
South Charford was long a separate parish, although for a period in the early 19th-century it was reckoned as a tithing of the parish of North Charford. The population of South Charford in 1870 was 70 people living in 13 houses. The civil parish of South Charford was abolished in 1932, and South Charford is now part of the civil parish of Breamore. There is no village today - just a few farm buildings.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article South Charford.. An outline of the ownership of the manor of South Charford from Domesday until about 1750.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on North Charford with South Charford.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | South Charford, Hampshire, England | Fordingbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England | Fordingbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Breamore, Hampshire, England | New Forest District, Hampshire, England