Place:South Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameSouth Cave
Alt namesCauesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 309
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.767°N 0.593°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoBeverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was situated
Harthill Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which the parish was located
Drewton-with-Everthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandhamlet that was merged with South Cave in 1935
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

South Cave is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies approximately 13 miles (21 km) to the west of Hull city centre on the A1034 road just to the north of the A63 road. The village and civil parish of North Cave is approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) to the north-west.

South Cave civil parish is formed by the village of South Cave, the hamlet of Drewton (part of Drewton-with-Everthorpe) and part of the hamlet of Riplingham. Drewton-with-Everthorpe was formerly in the neighbouring parish of North Cave in Howden Rural District. According to the 2011 UK census, South Cave parish had a population of 4,823, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 4,515.

From 1894 until the municipal reorganization of 1974, South Cave was located in Beverley Rural District. It was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at South Cave. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.