- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The South Britain Historic District in Southbury, Connecticut, USA, is a historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. It represents the central portion of South Britain, an unincorporated village. The district is bordered by the Pomperaug River on the west. Water-powered mills, supplied by water from a South Britain Water Power Company reservoir, were the impetus for early development.
The village rivalled nearby Southbury Center. It was seat of Southbury, Connecticut town government until 1964.
In 1987, the district included 46 contributing structures and 22 non-contributing ones.
Contributing properties in the district include:
- B.C. Bradley House, 497 South Britain Road, from 1802 or earlier by assessor records, with cottage and shed of similar age
- H. Curtis House, 584-586 South Britain Road, of Colonial era, probably the oldest house in the district.
- Miss H. E. and S. E. Canfield House, 524 South Britain Road, a Georgian style twin-chimney central-hall house "with Adamesque detail in its portico and cornice" from 1802 or earlier (see accompanying photo 2)
- George Smith House, 605 South Britain Road, a Greek Revival house, c. 1835, with cabin and garage from mid 1900s
- Mrs. S. Curtis House, 657 South Britain Road, a brick Greek Revival with granite dressing, from 1770 by assessor records
- Mrs. B. Chatfield House, 24 Hawkins Road, a brick Greek Revival, from 1850 (see photo 12)
- Congregational Church, 683 South Britain Road, from 1825. Federal style with later Gothic window. (See photo 15)
- Methodist Church, "an austere example of the Greek Revival style", from 1832, in deteriorated condition in 1986. (See photos 15 and 18)
Also included in the district is a steel-span bridge from 1939.