|Name||Newsham and South Blyth|
|Alt names||Newsham||source: settlement in parish|
|South Blyth||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England (1866 - 1920)|
|See also||Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blyth, Northumberland, England||urban district and municipal borough of which it was the principal portion 1906-1974|
|Blyth Valley District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
The civil parish of Newsham and South Blyth was formed in 1866 in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It was located to the south of the River Blyth and was the principal community that made up the Urban District and Municipal Borough of Blyth which was formed after 1900. In 1974 urban and rural districts were abolished and Blyth became part of the Blyth Valley District of Northumberland until 2009 when the county became a unitary authority.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newsham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWSHAM, a lordship in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; on the coast, and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, at the junction of the short branch to Blyth, 1¾ mile S W of Blyth. It has a station at the railway junction. Population in 1851: 524; in 1861: 948. Houses: 188. The increase of population was caused by the extension of collieries. The property belonged formerly to the Delavels, the Cramlingtons, and others; and belongs now to Sir M. Ridley, Bart. Bricks and tiles are largely made."
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of South Blyth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BLYTH (South), a seaport town, a township, and a chapelry in Earsdon parish, Northumberland. The town stands on the S side of the river Blyth, at its mouth, and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, 9 miles SE of Morpeth. It was formerly a disagreeable place, of poor appearance, with narrow, irregular streets; but it has been much improved; and it now contains many good houses. It has a post office, of Blyth, Northumberland, a [railway] station with telegraph, a bank, a church of 1863, two Presbyterian chapels, a Wesleyan chapel of 1866, a [Primitive] Methodist chapel, and national schools. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; a large trade is carried on in coals and coasting; and much manufacturing industry is a foot [sic] in connexion with shipping. The harbour has undergone great improvement since 1854, and not yet completed, costing nearly £50,000, and including docks, a quay of 1,400 feet, and a breakwater of about 3,000 yards. The depth of water over the bar, at full tides, was formerly 16 feet; and this has been increased. Two fixed lights, put up in 1788, are 445 feet apart, and 26 and 48 feet high.
- "The township comprises 1,180 acres. Population: 1,953. Houses: 327. The manor belongs to Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart.
- "The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and is a donative in the diocese of Durham. Value: £93. Patron: Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. The church was built in 1751."
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Newsham and South Blyth, Northumberland, England | Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Blyth, Northumberland, England | Blyth Valley District, Northumberland, England