Snow Hill is a town in and the county seat of Worcester County, Maryland, United States. The population was 2,103 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Snow Hill was founded in 1686 in Somerset County by English settlers who may have named it after a street and neighborhood of the City of London called "Snow Hill". The town received its first charter on the October 26, 1686, and was made a port of entry in 1694.
In 1742, Worcester County was carved out of the eastern half of old Somerset County and Snow Hill, centrally located in the new county and at the head of navigation on the Pocomoke River, was made the county seat.
Major fires in 1844 and 1893 destroyed the center of Snow Hill, including two successive Court Houses, although some eighteenth century structures survived both fires. Following the second fire, much of the commercial area was rapidly rebuilt, so the downtown today contains many historic buildings of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Snow Hill Historic District, which includes approximately 80% of the town, was created in 2002.
In December 2010 a Snow Hill businessman started a petition to remove the town's incorporation and revert the area back to county control. The reasons given were lower county taxes, better services provided to the town, and a need for revitalization. The push was abandoned in January 2011.
The All Hallows Episcopal Church, Chanceford, Old Friendship United Methodist Church, Samuel Gunn House, Makemie Memorial Presbyterian Church, James Martin House, Nassawango Iron Furnace Site, Nun's Green, George Washington Purnell House, and Gov. John Walter Smith House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.